Sunday, May 6, 2012

sweet potatoes

Stories may be told for generations about the sweet potatoes of 2011:

Big mamma up there in the pyrex dish beside the wine bottle satisfied the sweet potato portion of 3 casseroles at thanksgiving last year.  The rest of them were pretty healthy-sized too.  We started with 9 little plants, slips, that I bought at Ford's and planted in April.  They overgrew the entire pit by fall, and made for a hell of a harvest in November.  I tried to start a nice fall garden just inside the pit's fence with cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli, but that was a wasted venture as the sweet potatoes covered the entire pit and choked out everything in their way.  A November frost set me to harvesting, and I was amazed at the size and quantity of the bounty.  It was a long, wet fall and the sweet potatoes seemed to like it.  My one complaint would be the sweetness of the potatoes.  I planted beauregards like I always do, but they weren't as sweet as I wanted them to be.  I guess it's kind of like when a watermelon gets too much rain and grows big but doesn't have much taste.  We didn't let that stop us though.  We've been eating these sweet potatoes for the last 6 months.  I like to cut them into chips and bake them with a little cinnamon. I've made sweet potato salad like I would a regular potato salad but it just doesn't have much flavor or "kick."  We gave several to the Hancocks, and both of our families have enjoyed the 2011 bounty of not-so-sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment